TIPS FOR WOMEN :
HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF AND HELP TO KEEP YOUR HOME SAFE !!!
PRECAUTIONS WOMEN CAN AND SHOULD TAKE :
PURSE SNATCHING :
- DO NOT....carry a bag that makes you a target. A bag that dangles from the shoulder can be easily yanked off your shoulder by someone coming up from behind.
- DO NOT....carry your bag in such a manner that you can let it go if you have to. Many women have been injured because their own bags acted as handcuffs as a purse snatcher yanked it away.
- Be aware of your surroundings and carry your bag close to your body, tucked in the bend of your elbow.
- Minimize the amount of money and credit cards that you carry with you on a daily basis. Divide your money between pockets and bags.
- IF....you are the victim of a purse snatch, do not fight to hold onto your bag, especially if there is a weapon involved.
GET IN TOUCH WITH THE POLICE CONTROL ROOM ON PHONE NO. 100.
AT HOME YOU SHOULD :
- Have your key ready before you get to the front door.
- Make sure your entrance area is well lit.
- If you live in an apartment don't hold the lobby door open for a stranger who has been waiting.
- Please use the door chain for verifying the identity before fully opening the door.
- List only your last name and first initial in your mailbox.
- If a stranger wants to use your phone for any kind of call from business to an emergency ..... keep him out and you make the call for them! Any problems or in doubt? Call the police on Phone no 100!
- If you arrive home and find your door open DO NOT GO INSIDE. Call the police from a pay phone or neighbour's house and ask them to meet you.
COMING HOME LATE AT NIGHT :
- Avoid shortcuts that are not well travelled or well lit.
- Know what reputable stores are open in your neighborhood late at night.
- If you suspect that you are being followed, stay away from lonely quiet blocks and head for the store you know to be open.
- When walking to your car or on your way home, keep your keys in your hand until you are safely inside for added protection.
- If someone drops you off at home by auto, ask the driver to wait until you are safely inside.
- If a motorist bothers you while you are walking turn around and walk in the opposite direction of the car. Do this as often as necessary and he should get discouraged.
IF YOU ARE DRIVING :
- Keep windows rolled up, except for a small ventilation space and keep your doors locked.
- If someone attempts to force you off the road, don't panic.....blow your horn constantly to attract attention.
- If you are forced over, as soon as you stop put your car in reverse and back away..... keep blowing the horn and moving the car as much as possible.
- If you suspect that someone is following you make a few turns down active streets if possible.
- If the auto you suspect is following you makes the same turns as you then head for the nearest police station, fire house or open store. Don't try to make it to your own quiet residential area.
- Try to park your car in a well lighted area, this is not only good from the standpoint of discouraging a personal attack on you but also for reducing the chance of auto theft. Look around before you get out of your car.
- Before getting into your car, look inside first to make sure no one is hiding in the back seat. When leaving your car, make sure it is locked.
- Use a good anti-theft lock (electronic) on your car.